HISTORY AND LOCATION
ST. MICHAEL’S PARISH
St.Michael’s was founded as the mission of the Heavenly Rest in 1890 and became a parish in 1920. The current “Washburn Room,” which adjoins the sanctuary is a remodeled version of the cottage where the first priest lived. A major renovation took place in 1960. This included placing a foundation under the main church building. This new space became a parish hall, sacristy, and kitchen. A further addition of several classrooms and a new meeting room was undertaken in 1990 in recognition of the church’s centennial. The mortgage for this project has recently been retired.
Although Auburn’s population is about 24,000, the “Twin Cities” of Lewiston and Auburn (separated by the Androscoggin River) number about 60,000 people. The Twin Cities have excellent public and parochial elementary and secondary schools as well as several colleges and post-secondary schools. Health care services are provided by two area hospitals. Long term residential health care services are met by several nursing homes, hospice facilities, and retirement communities.
The community lies about half way between Portland and Augusta, and is about a 45 minute drive to either the coast or the mountains. Auburn boasts a small ski resort of its own plus two beautiful lakes, both used for year round recreation. The arts flourish here with concerts by the Maine Music Society, L-A Arts, and other organizations. A Franco-American Heritage Center houses artifacts of the French heritage of the area and the annual Great Falls Balloon Festival brings hot air balloons from all over the country.
St. Michael’s is a pastoral size parish (ca 70 souls at Sunday services on average) We have an active Sunday School for ages 5 through 11. Confirmation preparation and youth fellowship are available for older teens. The children often share what they learn with skits and music on appointed Sundays. Our parish formerly hosted an EFM (Education for Ministry) group with a mentor. We are open to more EFM or to similar programs that promote Spiritual Growth. Our worship service is graced by a small but talented, self-directed choir. Also is a fourteen member Children’s Choir, “A Joyful Noise.” The children rehearse and lead our worship under the direction of Susan Trask, with the help of parental (grandparental) volunteers. The children have sung at 8AM, at 10AM on a few Sundays and on Christmas eve.
There is a Eucharistic Visitor team, working with the Pastoral Care Committee and our priest to bring the Eucharist to home bound parishioners on Sundays and other days each month. Pastoral Care includes Non Eucharistic visiting, card ministry, (birthdays anniversaries, ,thanks, condolences, ,etc.), Casserole Committee, Rides to church and Health Care, as well as maintaining the Prayer List and Prayer Chain.
The ECW (Episcopal Church Women) meets monthly and sponsors many other functions. We publish a newsletter regularly. You’ll be able to link to the newsletter from this sight. Members also participate in altar guild, and serve as lay readers, chalice bearers, ushers, and acolytes. The church supports various spiritual, ecumenical, and social activities. We often celebrate special occasions with parish meals.
See and listen to what our Confirmation kids think of our Church.